Presbyterian Church Audio Tour
The Presbyterian Church was the only original church structure in Virginia City to escape the great fire of October 1875.
It was built in 1867 with funds raised by its congregation from mining stocks, and maintained with income from two stores built at the same time on either side of the church.
The Presbyterian congregation, organized in 1862, numbered about 750 at the height of the Comstock boom. It dwindled with the passing of the boom and by 1931 the church was known as the Union Sunday School. Deterioration set in after it closed in 1974.
The church has since been restored and is again open for services.