St. Mary’s Art Center Audio Tour Audio Tour
Built in 1876, the St. Mary’s Art Center was originally established as the St. Mary Louise Hospital by the Sisters of Charity and Bishop Patrick Manogue.
The 36-room hospital included five wards and 12 private rooms that could accommodate more than 70 patients.
Since 1964, the 14,000-square-foot hospital has been operating continuously as a creative retreat center for business meetings, family reunions, artist and writers workshops and more. Located on five acres, the center is open year round for workshops, exhibitions and special programming. It houses two large studios, four galleries, fifteen sleeping rooms, two communal kitchens, a large sunny dining room and artists’ lounge.
Called the Grand Dame of Virginia City, it is listed as a National Historic Landmark. Tours are held May to October and seasonally and combine both history and art.