Territorial Enterprise Building Audio Tour
This structure was built in the 1870s to house the first newspaper in the Nevada Territory.
The Territorial Enterprise was known for the flamboyant style of journalism developed in its earlier years by such writers as Mark Twain, Alf Doten and Dan De Quille.
William Sharon of the Bank of California purchased the paper in 1874 for an estimated half a million dollars in order to silence the criticism of him.
The paper suspended publication in 1893 but was revived a year later when the first linotype west of the Mississippi was installed. It shut down again in 1916 to be revived in the 1950s by Lucius Beebe, a New York journalist.