Water Company Building Audio Tour
Just past the A.M. Cole Building is a white two-story building with a large cottonwood front.
Known as the old Water Company Building, it was built in 1875 to hose the Virginia City and Gold Hill Water Company.
The water company accomplished one of the major engineering feats of its time when in 1873 it completed a water system for the Comstock piping water under enormously high pressure from a source in the Sierras, 19 miles across Washoe Valley, and back to the town. The system still functions and provides water to the town today.